Grown Up Macaroni and Cheese
Posted by goodcookbecky on March 26, 2010
Sorry blue box, move over it is time for some grown up Macaroni and Cheese to get the spotlight. Here is a version the adults in my family like. This recipe has a kick of cayenne pepper that makes the mature palate smile. I found it in a Martha Stewart Cookbook (Macaroni and Cheese 101 recipe), but hers serves 12. Only Martha Stewart would serve Macaroni and Cheese to 12! When I have 12 over it isn’t Mac and Cheese, so come to my house! Nevertheless, this is a great recipe that I have adapted to serve 6.
Martha’s Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 6 slices bread, crusts removed and processed into crumbs
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 3/4 cup warm milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground white pepper (or black is fine if you don’t have white)
- 1/8 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 1 (10 oz) block Cracker Barrel Cheddar cheese, grated, divided use
- 3/4 cup Romano cheese, divided use
- 8 oz Macaroni, cooked
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Melt the butter and toss with processed breadcrumbs and set aside.
- Melt remaining 3 Tbsp. butter in a heavy skillet over medium high heat. Once the butter bubbles up add flour and whisk until it thickens about 1 minute. Add the warm milk a little at a time, whisking to make a smooth sauce. Continue adding the milk and cooking it until it is thickened. Turn off the heat. Add in the seasonings and 1 1/2 cups of the cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup Romano cheese. Stir into the sauce until melted.
- Drain the cooked pasta and add to the cheese sauce. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray and pour the macaroni into the prepared dish. Top with remaining 3/4 cups of cheddar and 1/4 cup Romano cheeses. Sprinkle with the buttered breadcrumbs. (I usually don’t put all on the topping)
- Bake at 375 F for about 30 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before serving. Yummy!
In case you are interested in Martha’s original recipe here is a link.