I made Chicken Tortilla Soup in the crock pot for dinner tonight. As the weather starts to warm up in Southern California, I love grabbing my crock pot to cook the food for me without heating up the kitchen.
I usually cook my own chicken or put a frozen chicken breast or two into the crock pot and cook it all day, but I had several pieces of chicken left from my recent trip to El Pollo Loco so I used that.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 cooked chicken, skinned and de-boned and chopped up
- 1 can whole tomatoes, chopped (14 oz)
- 1 can tomatoes and chilies (12 oz)
- 1/2 small can enchilada sauce (16 oz)
- 1 small bag frozen corn kernels
- I package McCormick Recipe Inspirations combos for Garlic Lime Chicken Fajitas (new product- see below)
- 4-6 cups chicken broth
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained (15 oz)
- shredded cheese
- fried tortilla strips
Directions: Put all the listed ingredients (except the toppings) in a crock pot and cook for 6-8 hours on low (or 4 hours on high).
Top with cheese, avocado or fried tortilla strips (to make these cut small strips out of a flour tortilla and fry them in hot canola oil. Remove when they are golden brown and drain on a paper towel.