Waking up with a plan for breakfast is always a good thing. Strawberry and Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast has got to be a good plan for the day! My husband got me a new camera for my birthday, so of course I took pictures. If you have the time to make these- it is a move you won’t regret!
I found this recipe at Tasty Kitchen around Mother’s Day. I loved the presentation of it. Mine did not look as delicious as the one on the site, but it sure did taste good. It had a few more steps than I usually have for breakfast it was well worth the effort to make. The family loved them.
Strawberry and Cream Cheese Stuffed Toast Adapted from Tasty Kitchen
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
- 1/2 cup strawberry preserves
- 2 packages fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 loaf of french bread, cut into 2 inch slices
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Powdered sugar, to dust
- Cream softened cream cheese with Strawberry preserves until smooth with a fork. Cut up about 12 medium sized strawberries into a small dice and stir into the cream cheese mixture.
- Slice the remaining strawberries in slices and then cut them with a quarter turn so they are little “sticks” and add 1/2 cup sugar to let the juices come out.
- Slice the french bread into 2 inch slices and then slice just the top of them in half (do not slice all the way through!). Use your clean fingers to pry the bread apart, forming a little pocket, so you can stuff them with about 2 Tbsp of cream cheese mixture.
- Preheat a non stick skillet over medium heat.
- Beat the eggs with milk, vanilla extract and cinnamon for the french toast egg dip.
- Add butter to the heated skillet and move the butter around so it melts evenly to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Dip the stuffed french toast in the egg mixture and then add to the fry pan.
- Let them turn golden brown and turn to toast the other side.
- Place on a platter and dust with powdered sugar.
- To serve, top the french toast with the strawberries (and sugar) mixture. Enjoy!