I’ve said I was a fan of allrecipes.com before and I will say it again. I made this macaroni salad because I had little else in the fridge to eat for lunch, so I made this recipe. I made a few changes to the original (the original recipe called for 3/4 cups of sugar! – that sounds way too sweet to me for the amount of salad; I also reduced the amount of celery and changed the onion to 1/4 cup sweet onion- like Walla Walla, Maui or Vidalia). Never the less, after tweaking the recipe it is quite yummy!
I love Macaroni Salads that have eggs in them and this is one. Next time I will add some chopped fresh dill or parsley to brighten it up a little.
Amish Macaroni Salad
adapted from allrecipes.com
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 1/4 cup sweet onion (like Maui, Vidalia or Walla Walla_
- 2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped (I used 3/4 cup chopped roasted bell peppers from the jar)
- 2 Tbsp pickle relish
- 2 cups Mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp prepared Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp white vinegar (or champagne vinegar is really nice here)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp celery seed (I used Mc Cormick’s Salad Supreme seasoning)
- 2 tsp fresh minced parsley or dill (optional)
Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add Macraroni and cook according to package directions. Drain, rinse, and cool completely.
In a large bowl combine the remaining ingredients and stir them together. Pour the dressing mix over the cooled macaroni and stir to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and cool at least 1 hour. Enjoy.