I love the combination of sun-dried tomatoes with the cheese and Kalamata olives. It is certainly a grown up taste. My kids are not fans of olives that come in cans and in vinegar – so this salad is more for me and my hubby. I used tri color spiral pasta instead of white ones – I think it looked prettier. I will be adding this salad to a semi regular rotation though.
PASTA WITH SUN-DRIED TOMATOES
adapted from Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa Family Style Cookbook p 58)
For the Pasta Salad:
- 1 lb tri color spiral pasta, cooked and drained
- kosher salt
- olive oil
- 3 ripe roma tomatoes, medium dice
- 1/2 cup black olives (Kalamata), pitted and diced
- 1/8 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, cubed in 1/4 inch dice
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped
For the Dressing (use a food processor) to process the following ingredients:
- 5 sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 6 Tbsp quality olive oil, (the green stuff)
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 1 tsp capers, drained
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
Last minute ingredients:
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, julienned (thin ribbon like strips)
Cook the spiral pasta in boiling salted water and a splash of olive oil according to package directions. Drain well and allow to cool. In a large bowl, place the pasta, chopped tomatoes, chopped olives, diced mozzarella, and sun-dried tomato pieces. Toss to combine the ingredients.
Process the ingredients listed for the dressing in a small food processor. Pour the ingredients over the pasta salad and toss to coat the salad with the dressing. Sprinkle the salad with the grated Parmesan cheese and basil. Chill and serve.
Warning: this salad is highly addictive! If you are like me, you will not be able to stop eating it until it is gone, and then you will make some more the next day!