There is one thing my kids love to eat: Spaghetti and Meatballs. I could probably serve it several times a week and they would not tire of it. I would though, and besides, what would I put on my blog? I found this picture from last year and I will revisit this for April Fools Day this year. It is my kids’ favorite food as a dessert: Cupcakes topped with frosting (piped like spaghetti) and Ferrero Rocher balls (as meatballs) drizzled with warmed strawberry jam (as spaghetti sauce). Now this they love even more than Spaghetti and Meatballs. My mom taught me not to play with my food, but sorry Mom, this is WAY too fun!!!
I got this idea from a wonderful book on baking cupcakes and making them for special occasions: Hello Cupcake. I think you will want to pick a copy up from yourself as well. Here is my adaptation: I didn’t tint the frosting and I used chocolate cupcakes because I had a chocolate cake mix in the house. Also I like foil cupcake papers. I find them easier to peel.
April Fool’s Spaghetti and Meatballs
Source: Hello Cupcake p 34-35 Copyright 2008
- 10 vanilla cupcakes, baked in white paper liners
- 1 can (16 oz) vanilla frosting
- 1/2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder, opitonal
- 3 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 10 hazelnut chocolates (Ferrero Rocher), unwrapped
- 3/4 cup low sugar strawberry preserves (low sugar has the best color)
- 2 Tbsp. grated white chocolate, plus to garnish.
- Tint the frosting with cocoa powder and food coloring and frost the cupcakes with a thin layer. (I didn’t tint the frosting, but it would have looked better I think if I had). Put the cupcakes on a platter so they are touching.
- Spoon remaining frosting into a plastic baggie. Press the bag to remove the air before sealing. Snip a 1/8 inch corner from the bag. Form “spaghetti” by piping the frosting all over the cupcakes, making a pile of spaghetti. Don’t worry if it looks messy — it is supposed to be isn’t it?
- Put a chocolate ball on top of each cupcake and drizzle with strawberry jam (I find it is more runny if you heat it up a little)
- Grate white chocolate over the tops for “Parmesan cheese”. Enjoy!
NOTES: My kids loved having this version of Spaghetti and Meatballs! Hello Cupcake really is a cute book with lots of great ideas for decorating. You can readily find a copy at stores like Target or Wal-mart.