Here is a salad I had at a friend’s house and just HAD to have a copy of the recipe! It has a strong dressing, but is quite delightful! I have to say though, it can upstage your main course — so if you are not eating it as a main meal – which you could, serve it with something like Spaghetti and Meatballs – not your elaborate meal. It is really good. I have an immersion blender which makes the dressing a snap to make – a regular blender would do the job too though! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
The combination of spiced nuts, feta cheese, Craisins and the dressing is really outstanding! The kids may not care for the dressing though — serve it on the side – it is a good idea anyway that way you don’t overpower the lettuce greens… Start with a couple of teaspoons of dressing and toss and see where it takes you.. you can always add more, but not take it away!
Trisha’s Festive Tossed Salad
Serves 4 Main Dish Portions or 6 Side Salads
- 1 cup Pecans — coarsely chopped
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 12 cups Mixed Baby Salad Greens — torn
- 3/4 cup Craisins
- 4 ounces Cheese, Feta — crumbled
- 1/4 cup Vinegar, Red Wine — Dressing ingredient
- 1/4 cup Oil, Vegetable — Dressing Ingredient
- 1/2 cup Parsley, Fresh — Dressing Ingredient
- 1/4 cup Onion, Red — chopped Dressing Ingredient
- 2 cloves Garlic cloves — Dressing ingredient
- 1/2 tsp Oregano, Dried — Dressing Ingredient
- 1/8 tsp Salt — Dressing Ingredient
- 1/8 tsp Pepper — Dressing Ingredient
In a skillet, cook and stir pecans in butter until toasted, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in sugar, pepper and salt. In a salad bowl, toss the greens, cranberries, cheese and walnuts.
Place the dressing ingredients together in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Drizzle desired amount of dressing over salad and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
(Word to the wise, the dressing is quite potent so use with caution.) This salad was renamed “killer salad” by my family. I always have requests for it when I bring it to potlucks or have company over.