I have been laying in my bed recovering from a back injury that I gave myself falling down the stairs in my home. As a stay at home mom, I would call that a work related injury but it does not work that way! No workman’s comp for me!
Well, here I was looking at my iPhone to find signs of life beyond the walls of the bedroom I was recovering in. I found signs of life on facebook and twitter. I have been following other cooks and foodies on twitter and frankly by now I was downright hungry. The craving: brownies! Did I have a simple mix that I could just have my kids whip up? NO, of course not! But that’s okay. Child labor (when brownies are involved) make willing hands to help.
I dug out a recipe book that was published by Family Fun Magazine. The Family Fun Cookbook and made their Chocolate-Lover’s Brownies (pg 194).
Here is my adaptation:
Chocolate Lover’s Brownies
Serves 20 small squares
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 8 oz semisweet chocolate
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups nuts (I used one cup pecans and one cup M&Ms)
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Spray a 9x13x2 inch baking pan with pam or a cooking spray
- In the microwave, melt the butter and chocolate for about 3 minutes or until the mixture is completely melted. I microwave f or one minute, stir and then heat in 30 second increments until it is melted, stirring after each time to combine. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes after it is combined and melted.
- In a bowl, using a mixer on medium high speed combine the eggs and sugar and beat for 3 minutes until the egg mixture is pretty light in color. After the chocolate mixture has cooled add it to your egg and sugar mixture and combine.
- Add flour and salt to the mixture and slowly combine.
- Last minute: throw in your nuts and M&Ms if desired and just stir to combine.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish and bake for 28-30 minutes.
Allow to cool completely (if they make it that long). Can be stored in freezer if desired.