Sorry blue box, move over it is time for some grown up Macaroni and Cheese to get the spotlight. Here is a version the adults in my family like. This recipe has a kick of cayenne pepper that makes the mature palate smile. I found it in a Martha Stewart Cookbook (Macaroni and Cheese 101 recipe), but hers serves 12. Only Martha Stewart would serve Macaroni and Cheese to 12! When I have 12 over it isn’t Mac and Cheese, so come to my house! 🙂 Nevertheless, this is a great recipe that I have adapted to serve 6.
Martha’s Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 6 slices bread, crusts removed and processed into crumbs
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 3/4 cup warm milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground white pepper (or black is fine if you don’t have white)
- 1/8 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 1 (10 oz) block Cracker Barrel Cheddar cheese, grated, divided use
- 3/4 cup Romano cheese, divided use
- 8 oz Macaroni, cooked
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Melt the butter and toss with processed breadcrumbs and set aside.
- Melt remaining 3 Tbsp. butter in a heavy skillet over medium high heat. Once the butter bubbles up add flour and whisk until it thickens about 1 minute. Add the warm milk a little at a time, whisking to make a smooth sauce. Continue adding the milk and cooking it until it is thickened. Turn off the heat. Add in the seasonings and 1 1/2 cups of the cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup Romano cheese. Stir into the sauce until melted.
- Drain the cooked pasta and add to the cheese sauce. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray and pour the macaroni into the prepared dish. Top with remaining 3/4 cups of cheddar and 1/4 cup Romano cheeses. Sprinkle with the buttered breadcrumbs. (I usually don’t put all on the topping)
- Bake at 375 F for about 30 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before serving. Yummy!
In case you are interested in Martha’s original recipe here is a link.