Tri color Quinoa by Bob’s Red Mill had this delightful salad recipe on the back of their package. It sounded interesting enough to try. I am finding quinoa to be something that I need to acquire a taste for. I am not there yet, but this did have some good flavors that made it interesting. The dressing has an Asian taste to it. I substituted honey for sugar and increased the honey a little to give the dressing more sweetness. Here is my adaptation:
Vegetable Bounty Quinoa Salad
adapted from Bob’s Red Mill Tri-Color Quinoa Package
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3-4 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce (or soy sauce)
- 1 1/2 tsp toasted dark sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 pinches black pepper
- 2 – 3 cups cooked and cooled quinoa
- 1 (14 oz) can white beans (or kidney beans etc)
- 1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups diced seeded cucumber
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Prepare the quinoa according to package directions and cool.
Prepare the dressing, coming the dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine. Adjust the honey to your personal preference.
Combine the salad ingredients and pour the dressing over the salad. Serve cold or at room temperature.